Contact Butts County Historical Society Butts County Historical Society Special Events Join the Butts County Historical Society Historical properties in Butts County
 
 

 





Chief McIntosh
 
Indian Springs Hotel
  The Indian Spring Hotel was built in 1823 as an Inn by Chief William McIntosh and his cousin, Joel Bailey, who also operated it. In 1825, a two-story addition was built. The addition included the Tavern known as the Treaty Room and a large ballroom above it.

  The hotel is unique and extremely significant to the history of the State of Georgia. It is the only known ante-bellum mineral springs hotel in Georgia still standing. It's history yields much data on the culture, society, and architecture of Georgia throughout the 19th century. The Federal style architecture, hand-planed wide boards, wooden pegs, and handmade bricks clearly indicate an early 19th century construction date. The foundation was made of native stone. The alcove in the wall, where the treaty was signed remains intact.

  Indians had been coming to the Spring for many decades prior to 1800. The believed in the medical qualities of the water. No permanent structures were built near the waters due to the fear that crying children and talking women would scare the "healing spirits" away from the waters. However, William McIntosh built a cabin here in 1800.
read more about this hotel and Chief McIntosh

 
 

 


  Indian Springs Chapel

  The present building, a beautiful Queen Anne style structure stands today. The State Board was the largest donor to its cost, though its members contributed liberally.

  This little church has been as the saving salt in the life of the community, and has furnished the opportunity for worship to many pious visitors in the village. It is valued for its real worth. All denominations attended its services and appreciate its ministries. The church records have been lost, so this sketch is only fragmentary and incomplete.

  The Chapel was constructed from left over lumber milled for the Wigwam Hotel. The Wigwam was located on the ridge overlooking the mineral spring house at Indian Springs State Park.

  The Chapel contains the original kerosene light fixture, colored glass windows, and a brass bell placed when it was built. The bell in the tower has been tolled practically every Sunday since it was hung. The benches are much older than the church...
read more about the chapel

 
 



   
   
 

 



 

Contact | Events | Membership | Historical Properties | Home